Call for Board Directors & Volunteers
Photo: Taken at Santa Claus Parade 2018. Pictured here (left to right), are Curatorial committee volunteer Alex Kirkham, graphic designer Luke Despatie, and Program Director Debbie Beattie
Volunteer Positions Also Available:
We also have multiple volunteer opportunities to those interested in getting involved.
We are seeking volunteers that bring a diverse range of lived, cultural and professional experiences, and expertise to our organization. We are particularly keen to add new expertise in fundraising, marketing & communications, and those actively involved in the arts and culture sector, and/or from equity-seeking groups.
We have immediate openings on the following committees:
- Community Events (e.g. Pumpkin Parade, Candlelight Festival)
- 10th Anniversary Special Events
We are also receiving expressions of interest for our Curatorial committee.
Plus, there are also odd jobs that need extra hands from time to time (typically Spring through Fall), such as gardening, painting and touch ups at the Little Station; help setting up & taking down tents for special events or workshops; and distributing posters or flyers to local businesses, libraries and residential neighbourhoods.
Folks who might be able to help with social media content creation and/or video editing are always a welcome addition to our volunteer team as well!
For more information about available &/or future volunteer positions:
Email all inquiries to: email@example.com
Subject line: I’m interested in Volunteering!
Please Submit via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
What to include in your email:
- A quick paragraph or two that tells us a bit about yourself and what type of volunteer position you are looking for &/or what committee you would be interested in joining
Reach out to us with questions anytime at email@example.com
Now accepting candidates for our Board of Directors!
Critical Mass believes art changes how we see the world and our place in it. We bring contemporary art experiences to Port Hope so that everyone in our community can have that opportunity.
We are currently seeking people who also believe that art changes the world and want to bring that spirit to Port Hope. Our goal is to redefine Port Hope as a destination in Ontario for contemporary art. If you are able to help us shape the vibrancy of our community, we want to hear from you. We are seeking vibrant leaders to join our Board of Directors, to start in April, to coincide with the beginning of our fiscal year.
Board Position Summary:
This volunteer position will work in a collaborative environment to provide oversight and direction to the Critical Mass staff. Board members work together with other members of the Board and Critical Mass staff and volunteers to oversee the strategic direction of the organization. The Board is made up of professionals who contribute experience in fundraising, financial management, human resources, communications, arts practice and administration, and legal and technical expertise to our successful operation.
The current Critical Mass Board currently consists of ten members who meet monthly and have been recruited based on their skillset, experience, and connections within the artistic community. The Board drives Critical Mass’ three-year Strategic Plan cycle, and is guided by the organization’s history, incorporation papers, by-laws, committee guidelines, and consensus building. In addition, our Governance & Policy document stipulates the organization’s roles and responsibilities, internal processes, conflicts of interests, personnel policies, and decision-making principles.
Primary Responsibilities for Board members:
- Guidance and oversight to advance Critical Mass’ mission and strategic plan
- Monthly meetings via Zoom or at the office when applicable (approx. 2 hours)
- Serve on one or more committees (eg, Fundraising, Communications, Governance, Curatorial) (approx. 2 hours/mth)
- Hiring Critical Mass staff (as needed)
- Contributing to Critical Mass Board of Directors development
- Review of financial statements as needed
Expertise Critical Mass is Seeking:
- Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Governance and Planning
- Financial Management (CPA), Fundraising and Development
- Human Resources or Lawyer (experience working with artists an asset)
- Marketing, Communications and Public Relations
- Governing artist-run centres and/or not-for-profit charitable organizations
- Artistic Planning, Practice, and/or Programming
- Working Artist
- A 75-100 word bio outlining your relevant experience
- A brief statement of interest that describes your experience and what you hope to get from the experience (maximum 1 page).
- A resumé/curriculum vitae
- Please fill in this Google Form
Where to Submit:
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: Board of Directors application
For all inquiries, contact:
Debbie Beattie (she/her)
Critical Mass Art